Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, same resolutions.

What is it about New Year's Day that is so inspiring?

Is it the clean slate spread out before us?
Is it the fizzy champers, the midnight kiss, the bleet of a noisemaker?
Is it the joy - relief even - we get that we've been blessed to have another year at our disposal?

I don't know what it is, but I know that this day every single year, I make my list ... oh, you know you've got your old standards, just as I do:

- Lose weight.
- Exercise more.
- Save money (this year in particular, this one seems lots more important than the others, non?).

But this year, I'd also like to add:

- Cuss less. (A lot less. More like a lady, less like a sailor.)
- Take less of the good things in my life for granted.
- Write extra-curricularly more, like this blog. Freelance. Journal. Haiku. Just be inspired more to unleash my blue PaperMate pen outside of work.
- Be happier. (This has gotten easier in the last year. I've been able to let go of a lot of my anxiety about things I can't change, work, etc, etc. Quelle refreshing!)

2008 was a wonderful year for me. I'm looking forward to getting to know 2009 and whatever it will bring - and whoever I will be come this time next year.

Who would you like to be?

No comments: