Sunday, February 22, 2009

And the winner is ...

oscar-statue Pictures, Images and Photos

God, I adore the Oscars.

I love the pomp, the circumstance, the history.
I've walked - as a tourist - up the same steps that the stars walked up this evening at the Kodak Theater and gawked at the names of past winners hanging on the scrims. I've been in the ballroom of the Roosevelt Hotel where the very first Academy Awards were held.
It was such an awesome experience to see those things for myself, and even pretend for just one second that I was an Oscar nominee, much to the chagrin of my brother who took me to those places.

I even kept my burgundy sequined senior prom gown for "when I go to the Oscars." Believe me, it'll never go out of style.

Right now, we are about 35 minutes into the show and I have to say that I am more enraptured than ever before. And not just because the sexiest Aussie ever, Hugh Jackman, is hosting. He's so refreshing a performer.

Also take the stage set up, so classic, like a '40s-era club, complete with the band on stage, that floor design and all those sparkly crystals hanging from the ceiling. It captures the very best of the movie industry, that by-gone era when men like Cary Grant walked the earth - devilishly handsome and classy - and the ladies were, well ladies.

This is true Hollywood tonight.
It's an homage to those that came before Brangelina (who I adore just as much as the next person), Meryl Streep, Heath Ledger, and even Kate Winslet (who happens to be my favorite actress ever).

Side notes:
- The speeches always make me feel a little uncomfortable for the speaker, but I can only imagine how I'd feel being up on the stage. I'd probably be the first person to vomit at the podium if - no, no, WHEN - I win my Oscar. ;)

- J'adore the clothes. I mean look at how fabulous SJP looks right this second on stage. Say what you will about her, the lady knows style. And Daniel Craig standing next to her ain't bad either ...

- Is anyone else sick of "Slumdog Millionaire?" Honestly.

- And speaking of "Slumdog," which was nominated for not one, but two songs, I am terribly peeved that Bruce Springsteen's Golden Globe-winning song "The Wrestler" wasn't nominated for Best Song. WTF was the Academy thinking?? It is an incredible and goose-bump inducing song. For shame!

- I love how they're having past winners talk up the current nominees. It's such a nice touch.

- You know how the winners always seem to have that note they pull out at the podium? Well, how about those non-winners feel about having that unused speech in their pocket? What do you do with it? I'm so ridiculous I'd probably keep it. It'd probably make one hell of a grandchildren story, non?

- Best line so far: "You look like you work at a Hasidic meth-lab," said Natalie Portman to Ben Stiller acting like Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman.

- I have to say that I'm loving the little lead-ins for the categories. It's making the show not drag, but we all know why we're all watching. Best actor, actress, supporting actor, actress, song, director, picture. Just give them to us please. I don't even understand what that comedy short guy just said but hey, he's now an Oscar winner and I've got an unfinished screenplay. I'll stop talking now.

But you be on the look out for me someday - I'll be the one purging at the podium in a burgundy sequin dress with a slit up to there.

No comments: