Friday, June 5, 2009

I say "hoagie," you say "hero" - let's just say you're wrong!

I am appalled that the word "hoagie" in my previous post came up as an misspelled word when I spell checked.

It got me to thinking about when I worked in telecommunications and dealt with a lot of different internal-company people from across the country: New York, Boston, San Fran, L.A. and D.C. and how differently we called things.

For instance:
- Some of those people call my "hoagie" a "hero." Or a "grinder." Or a "sub."
(Other names across the country: Poor or Po' boy. Wedge. Zeppelin - the latter IS pretty awesome, actually.)
Hoagie Sandwich Pictures, Images and Photos
- Some call my "wimpies" "Sloppy Joes." Or "Manwich" - even if it didn't come out of a can!
(Other names across the country: Yip Yips. Slushburgers.)
Sloppy Joes Pictures, Images and Photos

- In my lovely state of Pennsylvania, we call them "liquor stores" or, if you're prim and proper as I sometimes pretend to be, "state stores." Massachusetts people call them "package stores."
(While in Springfield, Mass., on business, I actually saw for myself the sign that said "Package Store" above the door. Insanity!)
(Other names across the country: ABC Store.)

liquor store sign Pictures, Images and Photos
What do you call these things, wherever you are?

No comments: