Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion" (An ode to Jack)

Jack Pictures, Images and Photos
Years ago, like a touristy sap, I read Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" the first time I went to visit my brother when he lived in California.
Before the vacation was over, the book was finished and re-read halfway.
It was the book that changed my life.
It was the book that made me decide to go back to school to become a writer.
When I read this passage,
jack kerouac Pictures, Images and Photos
it gave me goosebumps.
That lyrical tone, that imagery and that sheer genius of words.
My God, to be able to write like that!
To be able to completely change the course of someone's life with words.
With language.
It still gives me goosebumps.

This quote has been my screen saver for years - the first time I read it, I could not stop saying it out loud:
"I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."

My God.
How could someone capture that?
"I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."
Whenever I see it or pick up "On The Road" to leaf through for inspiration, I am blown away by how strong a feeling it still gives me.

That is this man named Jack Kerouac, what he does to you.

Jack Kerouac Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

Jeff said...

You've just reminded me that I haven't read On The Road in a few years. I should really just read it every summer.