Saturday, March 28, 2009

Conquering my Everest.

Last night, I took a walk in the gorgeous weather.
Instead of doing the loop around the school like usual, I decided to do my two mile loop through my 'hood.

Said loop includes starting off with a massive hill at the end of my street (the very reason for the regularity of trekking around the nice flat school/track area).
This hill has always been a vicious foe, thanks to its veritable steepness.

What would ensue was shortness of breath, sparks flashing in my eyes and some off-putting wheezing and dizziness.
My legs would shake as I descended down the hilly street that intersects with it, and it would take me quite a while to breathe normally.

Not so last night.
I made Delaware Ave. my bitch.

I stalked up that hill like a mountain goat and held a slight conversation with my co-walker.

When I got to the top, I felt a sense of accomplishment, probably much like Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay must have felt as the first to ever ascent Mount Everest.

OK, clearly ascending my little hill isn't as monumental as that, however, for me, it sure as hell was.

Just like seeing myself in a full-length mirror last week made me realize I really did lose weight these last few months, getting to the top of that hill as fast as we did made me see that I am at last getting in shape.

My months of getting up early and miserably doing my Air Climber before the sun came up and my walks around the school/track have definitely paid off.

Watch out hills, you are no longer bigger than my determination.

No comments: