Wednesday, March 4, 2009

To Twitter or not to Twitter: A conundrum.

I make no qualms about being three months shy of my 32nd birthday.
I embrace it, actually, because I am in a place in my life I never thought I'd be, or be lucky enough to be.
But enough about that for right now ...

I get so much flack for not having a Facebook. Just the word Facebook makes me want to yell and/or break something.

Isn't it enough that I, in addition to my work blog (shameless plug No. 1: http://www.theweekender.com/blogs/mascali), have this blog, my beloved MySpace page (shameless plug No. 2: www.myspace.com/nikkimm) and my new LinkedIn page (shameless plug No. 3: http://www.linkedin.com/in/nikkimm33)??

Isn't it enough that I do those four things to be in contact with the outside world and work a job that relies on me having contact with said outside world an a daily - and sometimes hourly - basis?

I've been able to outrun the Facebook hounds (read: friends and coworkers), but then a little something called Twitter came along.

I really don't need it. I really don't want it. But that doesn't mean I'm not just a little tiny bit interested in it. It just seems so easy. And a little irreverent. And I really like its "Partridge Family"-esque bird logo.

I've heard people complain that Facebook is information overload, that people know what you are doing at every hour of the day.

But don't people know that info because ... that's ... what ... you ... tell ... them??

Part of me kind of feels like I am way to old for this stuff - all of it. But if people in the media didn't sway with the breeze, where would we be? I'll tell you: I'd be blogging on tree bark about that dang Gutenberg and his new-fangled movable type! Trees that don't bend in the wind, break.
tree branches Pictures, Images and Photos

It seems like Twitter is exactly the same way as Facebook - way too TMI - yet here I am creating an account.
My inquisitive nature got the best of me - there's the rub I guess.
Here's shameless plug No. 4: http://twitter.com/nikkimm33

But don't you dare try to strong-arm me onto Facebook because that branch just ain't budging.

No comments: